[syslinux] pxelinux.elf not loaded properly with ld 2.17.50.0.6-14.el5

Andy Walls awalls at md.metrocast.net
Thu Apr 19 17:21:51 PDT 2012

Hi.

I have run across this old problem:

http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2010-November/015753.html

when compiling 4.05 on an x86_64 RHEL 5.5 systems with nasm v2.10 and
GNU ld 2.17.50.0.6-14.el5 20061020.

The exact symptom is the linker (ld) improperly loads pxelinux.o,
created by nasm, to pxelinux.elf.  The pfx_* symbols in the .prefix
section end up being filled with 0's in pxelinux.elf.  Oddly,
ldlinux.elf and isolinux.elf appear to be fine.

I did a git bisect and narrowed the "cause" down to this commit:

http://git.zytor.com/?p=syslinux/syslinux.git;a=commitdiff;h=a2656772d030444ee1e2bdd289d3726edcf2d741

I have no clue why that change should matter, but reverting that one
change to syslinux.ld resolves the problem.  I'm guessing it's a linker
bug.

Regards,
Andy