[syslinux] pxelinux 5.00-pre6 sub menu not working

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Sat Jul 7 09:03:37 PDT 2012

Hello

I just tested my pxelinux installation with 5.00-pre6. For the
installation I did first the same steps as I did with 4.05. I
copied the following files out of the archive into my /tftpboot
folder:

syslinux-5.00-pre6/core/pxelinux.0
syslinux-5.00-pre6/com32/menu/menu.c32
syslinux-5.00-pre6/memdisk/memdisk

With only this files, it was not working and I also had to copy
this two additional files to my /tftpboot folder:

syslinux-5.00-pre6/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.c32
syslinux-5.00-pre6/com32/libutil/libutil_com.c32

Now it is working and the menu is displayed. Also selecting other
programs out of it do work (e.g. Smart Boot Manager). But
selecting my "Hardware Tools Menu" sub menu does not work and the
main menu is displayed again. I see a short message about loading
/tools.menu, but in the tftp log it shows only this lines:

Jul  7 17:24:06 superman tftpd[79508]: Filename: 'menu.c32'
Jul  7 17:24:06 superman tftpd[79508]: Mode: 'octet'
Jul  7 17:24:06 superman tftpd[79508]: 172.16.4.169: read request
for //menu.c32: success

Below the relevant parts of my pxelinux.cfg config files, which
are working fine with 4.05.

pxelinux.cfg/default:
---8<----------------------------------------------------
DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 80
#TOTALTIMEOUT 9000
ONTIMEOUT bootlocal

MENU TITLE superman's PXE Boot Menu
MENU INCLUDE pxelinux.cfg/graphics.conf
MENU AUTOBOOT Starting Local System in # seconds

LABEL bootlocal
   MENU LABEL ^Boot local system disk
   localboot 0

LABEL Tools Menu
   MENU LABEL ^Hardware Tools Menu
   KERNEL menu.c32
   APPEND pxelinux.cfg/tools.menu

LABEL btmgr
   MENU LABEL ^Smart Boot Manager
   KERNEL memdisk
   APPEND initrd=btmgr/btmgr.img
---8<----------------------------------------------------

pxelinux.cfg/tools.menu:
---8<----------------------------------------------------
MENU TITLE Hardware Tools
MENU INCLUDE pxelinux.cfg/graphics.conf

LABEL Main Menu
   MENU LABEL ^Return to Main Menu
   KERNEL menu.c32
   APPEND pxelinux.cfg/default

LABEL 3com
   MENU LABEL NIC ^3com
   KERNEL memdisk
   APPEND initrd=tools/nic/3com.img

LABEL hdtest-ibm
   MENU LABEL HD Test ^IBM
   KERNEL memdisk
   APPEND initrd=tools/disk/ibm.img

Is something wrong with my configuration? Or do I need to copy
some other files too? Or are sub menus not working any more with
5.00-pre6?

bye
Fabian