[syslinux] Cross-compiling syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 24 10:50:07 PDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 12:55 PM, Richard H Lee wrote:
> I would like to know if it is possible to cross compile syslinux for a
> different architecture than the host (given a suitable toolchain)?
>
> I know currently the build system does not differentiate host and target
> as stated in build.mk . However I can see in the main Makefile the
> targets seem to be split into two groups: binary components and
> installer components.
>
> I was wondering if it were possible to specify one toolchain in
> syslinux.mk for the binary components and only building them. And then
> doing another run with the host toolchain, this time only building the
> installer part?
>
> I had a look at the win32 Makefile, but it seems to use a completely
> difference procedure.

With some of the recent cleanups, it might very well be doable, but it
hasn't been *done* yet.

The installer code still rather assumes it is executed on an x86 host --
or at least a littleendian host which supports unaligned memory
references.  There has been work toward cleaning that up, but it pretty
much requires someone motivated enough to do it for it to happen.