[syslinux] make efi64 install in syslinux-6.02-pre3 fail

Michael Szerencsits szerencsits.michael at gmx.at
Tue Jul 16 04:39:33 PDT 2013

> If the Windows OS is running and a program is checking for an optical
> disc drive, then you really need one of:
> - A physical optical disc drive with the expected disc
> - A virtual optical disc drive with the expected disc
>
> Are you using either of these right now?  If you are using a physical
> OD, does it have a Syslinux EFI on it?  If you are [thinking about]
> using a virtual OD, which Windows driver will you use to drive it?
>
> Even if there was a (U)EFI MEMDISK, you'd need an OS driver to drive it,
> since Windows won't be using (U)EFI to access the disc.
>
> - Shao Miller

It doesn't check for an optical drive. When WinPE boot, it set a registry entry
with the info about the boot methode (Ramdisk, HDD, CDROM,...) The program looked
into this registry entry. I can manually update the entry, but when the program start
it run a windows program named wpeutil which set the value back.

When booting via memdisk, the parameter is set to CDROM, but when booting via Microsoft
bootmgfw.efi and also with wimboot the parameter is set to 'Ramdisk' and I'm not able to
start the revovery procedure.

Currently we use a CD which boot the Microsoft bootmgfw.efi to boot. I've not tried to
boot syslinux.efi via CD, because I have also problems to load syslinux.efi via PXE on this
notebooks.

There is an other thread with Matt for this problem.

I'm not sure how memdisk for BIOS boot work, but when there was a similar methode for EFI
that should work. There is no extra driver in Windows for the memdisk boot. I think memdisk
emulate a standard CD drive and Windows can work with that.

Regards
Michael