[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 23 05:49:15 PST 2013

> It is impossible to boot Linux-based ISOs that use Syslinux 6.02 via CD or
> DVD on older - non-UEFI - systems. Any attempt to do so will result in the
> following error message: ISOLINUX 6.02 ETCDisolinux: Disk error 01, AX =
> 4279, drive FE

Is this happening on "every" system? Or are we talking about specific
models or with specific characteristics? Is this behavior seen by any
chance in a Dell? Or only in some specific brand?

I am assuming that all c32 files where updated too, and that at least
ldlinux.c32 is included in the ISO together in the same location as
isolinux.bin, right?

Are you testing with Syslinux 6.02 from kernel.org? Or is this from
latest Arch Linux [testing]?

> It is still possible to boot / install via USB data-stick, and in a Virtual
> Machine. Where using a newer PC with UEFI, even in Legacy mode (and with
> the UEFI partition completely removed), ISOs using Syslinux 6.02 will still
> go through the UEFI menu.
>
> I also noticed that (at least some) OSs not using syslinux 6.02 won't
> recognise ISOs that do. For example, the file managers of Mint 13, Windows
> 7, and Windows 8 all wrongly "see" blank discs).

Are you sure that seeing blank discs is related to the version of
Syslinux? That behavior seems more related to optical media, the
specific optical drive, the burning software, or the tool to build
the ISO image, or...

I wonder if perhaps there is some issue regarding isohibrid.

Regarding file / archive managers reading ISO files, I don't see how
it could be related to the version of Syslinux, but perhaps I am
missing something here.

Regards,
Ady.