[syslinux] xorriso or genisoimage syntax assistance

Dean Graff graff97 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 14:43:36 PST 2014

I got this figured out much faster than I thought I would. Thanks to all of
your help, Peter, Mattias, Thomas and Helmut. And Thomas, that 8 partition
live OS sounds right up my alley, and I will definitely check it out.

The second partition is working well with `parted' and `fdisk', so I am
quite pleased. Below is, again, "what I came up with". I tried to integrate
each of your suggestions fully. If any of you have time, let me know if it
looks wrong or if I missed anything anyone suggested.

mkdir -p ISO_root/isolinux

cp /usr/lib/syslinux/[i,m,v]* ISO_root/isolinux

cat > ISO_root/isolinux/isolinux.cfg <<EOF
UI menu.c32
LABEL isolinuxtests
EOF

xorrisofs -R -J   \
-o output.iso            \
-no-emul-boot           \
-boot-info-table          \
-boot-load-size 4        \
-c isolinux/boot.cat     \
-b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
-partition_offset 16       \
-isohybrid-mbr ISO_root/isolinux/isohdpfx.bin \
ISO_root

# Put the .iso to a drive
dd if=output.iso  of=/dev/sdX

# Xorrisos special .iso allows other partitions to be made:
parted /dev/sdX mkpart primary "$(du output.iso)"  100%  -m -s

# Test the USB
kvm /dev/sdX

Thank you again, -dean