[syslinux] i2c bus access

João Henrique Freitas joaohf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 03:11:27 PST 2014

Hi,

Yes, probably using syslinux as 1st stage bootloader and a small linux (and
this [1]) as 2nd stage boot will be a quite good solution.

A bit more explanation about my needs: my custom hardware has a i2c
controller over PCIe bus. We are using Intel Atom (with EG20T hub). I think
that is not so simple to create a solid i2c framework inside syslinux to do
it. Even thought I will need i2c to  read what kind of hardware I am and
then use the correct device tree to Linux do the job. So I think this job
is out of scope of syslinux.

Based on the above I will get the Mattias idea.

Thanks a lot.

[1]
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/petitboot/petitboot.html

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Mattias Schlenker
<ms at mattiasschlenker.de>wrote:

> Am 27.02.2014 20:49, schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
>
>   I2C can be provided through an almost infinite number of controllers,
>> and building an I2C subsystem in Syslinux would be a good step toward
>> making it a fullblown operating system.
>>

> Why not use linux as bootloader?
>
> Booting a (rather small) linux kernel with I²C support and either shutting
> down or kexecing another linux kernel (plus ramdisk) might be the solution.
> All one needs is a busybox (statically linked against uClibc), the kernel
> with needed disk and network drivers baked in, a statically linked kexec
> and a single shell script. If João Henrique wants to take this path, I am
> willing to help with further details.
>
> Regards,
> Mattias
>
> --
> Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
> August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY
>
> Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
> +49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!

João Henrique Ferreira de Freitas - joaohf_at_gmail.com
Campinas-SP-Brasil