[syslinux] Error loading vesamenu.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 07:30:48 PST 2015

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Angel <angelv64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm trying to setup an multiboot USB, mainly to install Debian using
> > netinst images.
> >
> > I've mounted one of iso image and copied to a directory in USB (made
> > with syslinux 6.03) and copied too the kernel and initrd for hd install.
> >
> > I've setup a directory to start the USB and, well it starts, but when
> > I jump (using CONFIG) to the isolinux.cfg from Debian directory I get
> > all the times a message "Failed to load COM32 file vesamenu.c32"
> >
> > I think th iso image for netinst is made using syslinux 4.02, but I
> > don't know if is the cause of the problem. I've tried some things like
> > rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg, but with no success.
>
> That alone can be an issue.  You should only use COM32 modules from
> the same build.  Crossing from 6.xx to 4.xx will definitely not work.
>
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Modules
>
> > I'm sure the Debian isolinux.cfg is reached because I've added a line
> > "SAY something" and the message is displayed, the problem is in the
> > line "default vesamenu.c32"
> >
> > Best regards and thanks in advanced
>
> --
> -Gene

Gene already replied with the "short" answer. Perhaps the following
might be useful anyway.

FWIW, this is a frequent problem for common users.

The first step so to avoid this problem, should be to search for the
*supported* methods for the relevant distro. Such methods might vary
depending on the version/release of each distro, and they might also
point to specific versions of auxiliary tools.

So, in this particular case, the specific Debian version might be
relevant (considering that each Debian release uses different versions
of Syslinux's packages).

The next problem affecting common users (after not even
searching/reading for supported methods for each Linux distro) is that
some distros don't have "supported" or "recommended" methods to boot
from USB (either to install the OS or for Live OS). So this type of
problems and questions keep showing up in forums, mailing lists, irc
channels... with all sorts of answers (sometimes adequate, sometimes
not so).

And then there is the "multiboot" capability, with one distro
suggesting one method (or one version of some bootloader) whereas other
distro recommending other ways.

The result frequently is that common users attempt to use some popular
"multiboot" auxiliary tools, which claim to simultaneously support all
sorts of ISO images. Such claim is not always accurate, even for
non-multiboot situations.

Usually a valid workaround is to replace the c32 modules used in each
ISO image with those corresponding to the same version of the SYSLINUX
bootloader. The opposite usually fails, considering that each ISO image
might include different versions of c32 modules.

Also note that some ISO images might include special c32 modules or a
patched bootloader (e.g. not included in the official upstream release,
or with some special patches). In such cases, there is no "multiboot"
_generic_ rule/workaround/solution, since such particularities might or
might not be compatible with other distros' images.

Therefore, the most generic answer would be that users should use c32
modules matching the same exact version of the bootloader. Distros
using patched bootloaders or special c32 modules _can_ be also used in
these multiboot scenarios, but they might need some special treatment
or consideration. Ultimately, users should try to follow the
"supported" and/or "recommended" methods of each distro (instead of
using some auxiliary tool claiming superpowers :) ).

Best Regards,
Ady.