[syslinux] Error loading vesamenu.c32

Angel angelv64 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 08:29:31 PST 2015

El 18/01/15 a las 16:30, Ady escribió:

>> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Angel <angelv64 en gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to setup an multiboot USB, mainly to install Debian
>>> using netinst images.
>>>
>>> I've mounted one of iso image and copied to a directory in USB
>>> (made with syslinux 6.03) and copied too the kernel and initrd
>>> for hd install.
>>>
>>> I've setup a directory to start the USB and, well it starts,
>>> but when I jump (using CONFIG) to the isolinux.cfg from Debian
>>> directory I get all the times a message "Failed to load COM32
>>> file vesamenu.c32"
>>>
>>> I think th iso image for netinst is made using syslinux 4.02,
>>> but I don't know if is the cause of the problem. I've tried
>>> some things like rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg, but with
>>> no success.
>>
>> That alone can be an issue.  You should only use COM32 modules
>> from the same build.  Crossing from 6.xx to 4.xx will definitely
>> not work.
>>
>> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Modules
>>
>>> I'm sure the Debian isolinux.cfg is reached because I've added
>>> a line "SAY something" and the message is displayed, the
>>> problem is in the line "default vesamenu.c32"
>>>
>>> Best regards and thanks in advanced
>>
>> -- -Gene _______________________________________________ Syslinux
>> mailing list Submissions to Syslinux en zytor.com Unsubscribe or set
>> options at: http://www.zytor.com/mailman/listinfo/syslinux
>>

> Gene already replied with the "short" answer. Perhaps the following
>  might be useful anyway.
>
> FWIW, this is a frequent problem for common users.
>
> The first step so to avoid this problem, should be to search for
> the *supported* methods for the relevant distro. Such methods might
> vary depending on the version/release of each distro, and they
> might also point to specific versions of auxiliary tools.
>
> So, in this particular case, the specific Debian version might be
> relevant (considering that each Debian release uses different
> versions of Syslinux's packages).
>
> The next problem affecting common users (after not even
> searching/reading for supported methods for each Linux distro) is
> that some distros don't have "supported" or "recommended" methods
> to boot from USB (either to install the OS or for Live OS). So this
> type of problems and questions keep showing up in forums, mailing
> lists, irc channels... with all sorts of answers (sometimes
> adequate, sometimes not so).

So I understand that the first source is, in this case, Debian to know
if is possible to start netinst from an USB, and perhaps is possible
there's no way to do it.

> And then there is the "multiboot" capability, with one distro
> suggesting one method (or one version of some bootloader) whereas
> other distro recommending other ways.
>
> The result frequently is that common users attempt to use some
> popular "multiboot" auxiliary tools, which claim to simultaneously
> support all sorts of ISO images. Such claim is not always accurate,
> even for non-multiboot situations.
>
> Usually a valid workaround is to replace the c32 modules used in
> each ISO image with those corresponding to the same version of the
> SYSLINUX bootloader. The opposite usually fails, considering that
> each ISO image might include different versions of c32 modules.

I've tried with no success

> Also note that some ISO images might include special c32 modules or
> a patched bootloader (e.g. not included in the official upstream
> release, or with some special patches). In such cases, there is no
> "multiboot" _generic_ rule/workaround/solution, since such
> particularities might or might not be compatible with other
> distros' images.

I didn't think. All time I've assumed standard syslinux was used.

> Therefore, the most generic answer would be that users should use
> c32 modules matching the same exact version of the bootloader.
> Distros using patched bootloaders or special c32 modules _can_ be
> also used in these multiboot scenarios, but they might need some
> special treatment or consideration. Ultimately, users should try to
> follow the "supported" and/or "recommended" methods of each distro
> (instead of using some auxiliary tool claiming superpowers :) ).

It's not the case, I'm trying "manually"...