[syslinux] chainloading syslinux from an EFI partition to an ext4

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Sun Jun 7 23:04:05 PDT 2015

On 7 June 2015 at 21:48, Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> The most basic problem with your attempted setup, IMHO, is that
> initially you want to boot with a UEFI bootloader (syslinux.efi) in
> UEFI mode - that's fine - but then you want to chain to a BIOS
> bootloader (EXTLINUX, ldlinux.sys).

I have the possibility of adjusting the number/content of the partitions.
One option I had considered less desirable, but it might be a game
changer here, is to put the desired kernel in a separate partition, as raw
binary data.

So this new scenario would require to boot the UEFI bootloader and
then to chainload the content of the partition, which is a plain kernel.

Would this work any better?

I could do the same with the initrd. Actually in this case I could even use
initramfs model, where kernel and initrd are one single blob.

--
thanks, igor