[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 13:14:57 PDT 2015

> Considering any editing/buffering benefits are only marginal (AFAIK) there are not benefits with the current approach.On the other hand the list of potential problems includes:
> 1) We cannot use the ubiquitous EFI PXEbc protocol forcing us to rely on the (not always present) EFI Binding Services.
> Best,Patrick

Speaking utterly ignorantly here... could this switch help with the
issues we see with HP systems?  The load-and-hang many of them do with
syslinux.efi as discussed here?  E.g., maybe they implement this
protocol a little better...?
-Alan<<<
It very well might. I remember your "load-and-hang"; that could be becauseHP just does not need to test their UDP4 Binding Services because bootmgfw.efi
does not use that, then they might very well have a non-reported FW bug there.
But how to know if it is a problem in our side or their side? who knows.. but also "who cares" is we can avoidusing EFI UDP4 Binding Services... That's why I think we should redesign the conf strategy avoiding the requirement
of simultaneous TFTP transfers and stick to PXEbc like bootmgfw.efi does. On that case if we got a bugthe chances are it is just "our" fault.

Best,Patrick