[syslinux] BUG: confusion between next-server and gateway

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 03:33:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Costas Drogos via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'am trying to efi-netboot a HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9[1], that has
> multiple NICs, one embedded 2-port and an extra 4-port, so I got to the
> HP/EFI/multinic problem.

HP DL120 G9 versus HP DL160 G9.  Sounds like they'll be awfully similar.

> I read through the multinic mailthreads and using current master[2], it
> booted successfully to syslinux but then another problem manifested:
> Syslinux for some reason asks the gateway and not next-server about
> ldlinux.e64 (I got this through tcpdumping the gw)

OH?  This has me thinking.  Please look closer.  Is it targetting the
gateway's MAC address but the next-server's IPv4 address?  Or is it
targetting the gateway's MAC address and IPv4 address?

> Our setup is the following:
>
> 10.1.10.1: gw
> 10.1.10.105: client-to-be-booted
> 192.168.1.2: dhcp next-server/tftp, routed through gw
>
> To make sure that this is a syslinux bug, I disabled the extra nics
> through HP's firmware (so that the multinic problem would not manifest)
> and booted successfully to debian installer with stable syslinux 6.03.
>
> Some bisecting (from 6.03 onwards) and reboots later, the first commit
> that exhibits this behaviour seems to be 'f858a54 efi: Hunt for service
> binding handle if needed'

What behavior do you see before this?

> Sadly I'm not that familiar with syslinux/EFI internals to help you
> more, but I can test anything you throw at me :)
>
> Regards,
> Costas
>
> [1] Upgraded to latest firmware/drivers as of yesterday
> [2] Current master now is on d70168d

Digging like this is both helpful and attracts my interest.

--
-Gene