[syslinux] BUG: confusion between next-server and gateway

Costas Drogos costasd at sigsegv.gr
Wed Sep 2 05:02:52 PDT 2015

On 09/02/2015 01:33 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Costas Drogos via Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'am trying to efi-netboot a HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9[1], that has
>> multiple NICs, one embedded 2-port and an extra 4-port, so I got to the
>> HP/EFI/multinic problem.
>
> HP DL120 G9 versus HP DL160 G9.  Sounds like they'll be awfully similar.

Yes, they are quite similar.

>> I read through the multinic mailthreads and using current master[2], it
>> booted successfully to syslinux but then another problem manifested:
>> Syslinux for some reason asks the gateway and not next-server about
>> ldlinux.e64 (I got this through tcpdumping the gw)
>
> OH?  This has me thinking.  Please look closer.  Is it targetting the
> gateway's MAC address but the next-server's IPv4 address?  Or is it
> targetting the gateway's MAC address and IPv4 address?

So I did a packet capture in our gateway and it goes like this:
- client (.105) does arp, get the gateway and gateway mac
- client gets /syslinux/syslinux.efi from next-server
- boots it
- client tries to get /syslinux/ldlinux.e64 from gateway's ip (with
gateway's mac) many times, then /syslinux//ldlinux.e64 and so on.

All MAC and IPs on packets are the correct ones.

>> Some bisecting (from 6.03 onwards) and reboots later, the first commit
>> that exhibits this behaviour seems to be 'f858a54 efi: Hunt for service
>> binding handle if needed'
>
> What behavior do you see before this?

- 6.03 boots nice
Then either:
 - failing to boot at all
 - booting and working
until f858a54 which boots but exhibits the problem.

As I was after the gateway/next-server problem, I didn't examine further
the boot failures, could do if you need me to

The setup during all these tests has 1 bootable card, the others are
fully disabled through HP's firmware.