[syslinux] Problem with cascading configurations

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Sat Sep 7 09:31:28 PDT 2019

Am 06.09.2019 um 06:28 schrieb Ady Ady via Syslinux:
>> Relocating ldlinux.c32 as you suggested didn't have any visible effect
>> on the boot process. Error message and TFTP log entries are the same.
>

> Adding ldlinux.c32 to the location where pxelinux.0 is located is only
> one part of the troubleshooting process. The addition to the "right"
> location might change the initial "working directory" (when comparing
> to the prior situation, originated/based on the netboot images' parent
> tree). This change might (or might not) be useful.
>
> As I said in my prior email, the aforementioned addition/change cannot
> really resolve the (potential) conflict between Syslinux's versions.

The relocation proofed to be not necessary when pxechn.c32 was used (see
below).

> One possible workaround for the versioning conflict (that might work in
> some cases) would be to use pxechn.c32 (from the same version as the
> active pxelinux.0 bootloader) instead of your CONFIG directive entries.
>
> With CONFIG, the cfg files are (expected to be) parsed by the same
> version of Syslinux. Using pxechn.c32 instead, you first chainload the
> pxelinux.0 file/version that comes within the respective netboot.img.gz
> archive. From that point on, the "new" pxelinux.0 expects its
> corresponding ldlinux.c32 and all c32 modules that are already included
> within the same netboot image. As long as the Syslinux's binaries work
> correctly, the versioning conflict should no longer be a problem.
>
> There are several places to look up for info about pxechn.c32,
> including the Syslinux wiki.

Thanks, using pxechn.c32 solved my problem. The sample configuration now
looks like this:

    LABEL Debian_9_i386
        MENU LABEL Debian 9 Stretch Network Installer (i386)
        KERNEL pxechn.c32 debian/stretch/pxelinux.0

    LABEL Debian_10_i386
        MENU LABEL Debian 10 Buster Network Installer (i386)
        KERNEL pxechn.c32 debian/buster/pxelinux.0

I had top copy pxechn.c32 and libcom32.c32 to directory syslinux in the
TFTP server's root.

Regards,
Matle