[syslinux] extlinux - Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:36:31 PDT 2020

> I built development version of syslinux from git 6.04-pre3-3-(sometag)
> and I am trying to boot a slackware-current system with it.  I do not
> use a separated partition for `/boot`.  It's just `/dev/sda1` here for
> `/` and `/boot` is just a folder.  I simply use `mbr.bin` against a DOS
> partition table and the first partition having the bootable flag.
>
> With this layout, the only way I manage to get syslinux/extlinux up and
> running, has always been to use `/` as installation directory.
>
>          extlinux --install /
>
> When ever I try one of the following
>
>          extlinux --install /boot
> or
>
>          extlinux --install /boot/syslinux
>
> the boot process fails to find `ldlinux.c32`.
>
> Is this a known problem?  A I doing something wrong?  Why can't I use
> `/boot` or `/boot/syslinux` instead of `/`?

Please try 6.04-pre1. FWIW, official binaries from 6.04-pre2 and pre3
_will_ fail.

I would suggest trying first the official binaries that are already
included in the official distribution archive (6.03-pre1). Let me
emphasize: first test official binaries, not your own build.

If the official binaries fail, I would then suggest testing with the
binaries from Debian Sid.

Only as a last resort, try you own build. Please be aware that there
are some building issues ATM.

In any case, _avoid_ mixing binaries from different versions / builds
(e.g. c32 modules from one version with the installer from another;
that's a "no-no").

BTW, I would also suggest searching the official Syslinux wiki.

Regards,
Ady.